Saturday, September 27, 2008

A note on Susan B.

I’m really cramped for time these days, so I feel guilty blogging, but it’s been 2 weeks since my last post, so I figured it was ok to stop studying Engineering Dynamics and write some stuff.

I have so many things I could potentially discuss, I’ve got one topic I’ve been itching to get out, but it isn’t perfected yet, so it is going to have to wait another week. So I’ll settle with ‘women power.’

I’ve been mulling over this since I saw that new movie, The Women. It’s that remake of an old 1930’s film, starring Meg Ryan, Debra Messing, Eva Mendes (hate her), and several other famous female actors. I was excited to see it as I enjoyed the old version and the preview looked pretty funny, unfortunately I was disappointed. For those of you thinking of seeing it, I’ll just warn you, there is only one male in the entire movie (including extras).

The gist of the film is the lead, Meg Ryan, discovers her husband is having an affair, and that sucks for her, so she kicks him out, and files for divorce. It’s a messy situation, but luckily she’s got her gal pals to help her through it, even though some of them make the situation even worse. Meg Ryan, through this ordeal, discovers herself as she begins her own fashion line, and starts doing things she wants to do, instead of catering to her family.

So, I’m totally down with women discovering themselves and having lives beyond their homes and fulfilling career dreams. I think that is a very healthy way to live life (as long as there is a balance). However, this movie treated Meg Ryan’s fashion venture under a feminist light, like she had been liberated from a male’s world, when she was still just as much subject to it as before.

This is seen in real life as well. Society commends women that write books, start clothing lines, manage retail franchises, create scrapbooking companies, and make work out movies. These women are out there fulfilling dreams, and succeeding in the work force!! They are attractive, and their success makes them even sexier (mentioned in the movie). Proof that Susan B. Anthony did not work in vain! I commend women in these fields as well. They are creative and business savvy.

However, if a woman succeeds in a man’s field, such as mathematics, engineering, computer science, manufacturing, corporate leadership, or politics, she is often not met with as much encouragement. Often the women in these fields are older (it takes them a while to reach CEO status) and usually less attractive than women in the fashion or writing industry. I have heard on more than one occasion comments about a successful woman’s looks, way before her accomplishments are even considered. A successful man however, could be balding and fat, but no on would say anything about his appearance. This of course is not true of John McCain, could someone please tell him to get some better teeth?

Don’t worry, I’m not a bra burner or anything. I understand that women are the fairer sex, and we are blessed with softer dispositions, gentle faces, and a few extra curves, but just because a girl decides not to go into and industry that flaunts those characteristics, does not make her any less of a woman.

I believe that equality will be achieved when woman are admired for accomplishments in ANY industry, no matter their dress number, cup size, hair length, or height.


For the record, I am not a Hilary Clinton supporter.

1 comment:

medicus said...

I totally agree! But there's definitely a long, tough road ahead. What do you recommend that women (and men for that matter) should do to promote further equality in the workplace?