Friday, April 10, 2009

Breakthrough

Have you ever started exercising regularly and 'hard-corely?'

For a while everything is great. You get stronger everyday, you feel yourself getting skinner, you eat healthier, and you are high off of endorphins constantly. Unfortunately, the success starts to wear off, and you plateau. You still have to work as hard as you were before, otherwise you go back to being lazy and out of shape, but despite working hard you can't seem to get any better. You are constantly tired, annoyed, and discouraged. Going to the gym becomes more and more difficult because you aren't seeing any positive results. At this time in the work out cycle it is very easy to just give up and slide down to lower than where you were before.

I've been on one of those plateaus for a very long time, but not the working out kind, just the life kind. It's been very frustrating, disheartening, and detrimental to my grades. I was having a hard time finding motivation to succeed and try hard. I wasn't really sure what I like about life or myself. I wasn't even just plateuing, I was kinda sliding backward, caring less and less everyday.

Luckily, this week I had a breakthrough.

When working out the breakthrough is an amazing day. You finally remember why you love running, lifting weights, and everything else. You smile as you work out, even laugh at yourself in the mirror. You feel stronger, faster, and more capable. The endorphin rush is more charged than ever before. A new wave of motivation and drive splashes over you, giving you energy to make it to your next goal.

In my breakthrough in 'life' this week I decided the following:
  • I can turn in projects I am proud of.
  • I can learn difficult things.
  • I really, really, really love the gospel.
  • I can help people be happier
  • I can be happier
  • I don't have to hate my major
  • I like myself
  • I like my life.
  • I am not competent at lots of things, but I am competent at some things, and thats good enough, because I can eventually become more competent in more stuff.
  • I can stay up really, really late, not just to get a good grade, but because I believe in quality
  • Somehow I'm contributing to this world
  • The church is true.
  • There are lots of things I want to improve about myself, and I can.
  • Moving to Texas is a good idea.
  • I'm 'seriously so blessed.'
I'm sorry to be so personal, but really, this has been a big week for me. I'm excited about 'working out' again.

Yay for life.

4 comments:

The McKinleys said...

YAY jenny! i'm glad you had a breakthrough...could the kidnapping last night possibly contributed to it??? haha. thanks again for coming. i love your guts. and i think you are amazing. life IS wonderful, huh? sometimes it just gets a little rough...but you can do it!

Michelle said...

I'm so glad you left a comment on my blog so that I could find yours! Um, jenny... DUH! You make my life better everyday! I'm so happy about your breakthrough. We need them. I still need to have a breakthrough about ME because I have been feeling very anti-school for a long time, but I am feeling very happy about the other parts of my life. You inspire me. Thanks for this post.

Michelle said...

Oh, and Zora Neale Hurston was the only one you didn't get. Great job. I'll give you 8 points for that. :)

Kate and Peter Lowe said...

Amen Girl! I really needed this post! I am constantly hitting those speed bumps (as I call them) in life and sometimes you wonder.... really? What the heck? And then you realize, what am I complaining about. I'm not perfectly competent yet because how boring would that be and how many friends would I lose?! Inadequacy sucks but humility is a sweet little blessing that reminds us that we're still on the road trip.... not at the destination! :) I'm glad you found my blog, I miss you! Oh and can I just say that any time I hear dang Simon and Garfunkel I think of you! "Life I love you, all is Groooooovyyyy!" :)