Monday, June 1, 2009

Ode to Houston


I LOVE HOUSTON! I really didn’t think I’d be saying those words, but seriously, it is probably one of the most underrated cities in the United States. (Disclaimer, in no way is Houston replacing San Francisco as my favorite city in the US, but it’s just not the armpit I was expecting it to be). It’s funny, because I think everybody has had an experience similar to mine. No one is really excited to move to Houston, they are even a little reluctant to come here, but then you get here and you realize that it is a great place. Let me try to explain why I like it so much:

Discovery Green: BEST PARK EVER. Free yoga lessons on Saturday mornings, a mini donut stand, THE GROVE, Silent Movies to live music on warm summer nights, creative water fountains (often monopolized by a bajillion kids running around in swim suits), picnic areas, dance performances, concerts, a toy boat pond, and more! It has everything you could want from a park. And it’s right in the middle of the city, surrounded by sky scrapers and plenty of parking.

The Texas Medical Center: 40 plus non-profit institutions all focused on the helping people be healthy. Cancer, pregnancy, heart problems, women’s services, you name the problem, and within a few square blocks you will find a solution. Everyone goes to the grocery store, the park, even restaurants, in scrubs and medical attire. Medical school and nursing students ride the train with me every day. I didn’t know it would make such a big difference but this group of medical professionals gives the city a great ‘energy’ (pardon my cheesiness). Also, you can get hit on by a guy at the pool who claims to be a neurosurgeon, and actually believe him!

Parking: There is lots of it. And it isn’t hard to even find it for FREE. For being the 4th largest city in the United States, that is pretty freaking awesome. I would say my parking experience in Houston has been even better than Provo, which is tiny compared to Houston.

My Roommate: She’s actually not from Houston, she’s from a small town about 4 hours away, but she and her fiancé are SOOOOO great, and they are in Houston with me, so they get added to the list.

The Theatre District: Want to see a ballet, an opera, go to the symphony, see a play, a broadway show? It’s all here. I went to see Fiddler on the Roof on Saturday (TOPOL’s farewell tour-he played Tevye in the movie), and it was soooo good, and the theatre (the hobby center) is so beautiful.

Galveston: So….it has beaches with chunky sand and murky water, but it’s a beach, and it is a fun beach, so I’ll take it. Plus, it’s only 45 minutes away, and there is plenty of parking (unlike Newport, Huntington, and the like).

Nice People: I’ve made so many great friends and I’ve only been here a few weeks. The ward is great, my work friends are awesome, and the general population is considerate. I’m a big fan.

To be fair, the crappy things about Houston:

The whole recycling thing hasn’t caught on here.

You have to drive 20 minutes to get anywhere. You can’t go anywhere without getting on a freeway.

There is construction everywhere, all the time.

The roads are GHET-TO. I feel like I need a jeep to make it around safely.

The train is loud, and while I’m so happy to ride it every day, I’m not happy in the mornings when it drives by my apartment every 6 minutes.

But overall, I am really enjoying my time here. Thank you Houston, I’m sorry I doubted you.

3 comments:

Tyler said...

Wait, so you're saying he wasn't actually a neurosurgeon? Wait, really?

Wait, he wasn't serious when he said he was a neurosurgeon?

Wait, neurosurgeon = not him?

Wai...

Wait, for true?

Jeff Rosenbaugh said...

Best thing about Houston RIGHT NOW? Jenny Pate...

*CHEEEEESY*

Glad you're enjoying yourself more than you though

Sarah Orme said...

i am so happy you're happy. but i miss you. please come home soon. dont forget me.