Thursday, January 28, 2010

iReview

Yesterday, Apple introduced its much anticipated iPad, proving that you can't put 'i' in front of anything to make it sound good (iTampon doesn't work either).

Immature comments aside, as I scrolled through product reviews and forums, watched Steve Jobs' presentation of the product, and contemplated if I coveted one or not, I couldn't help but think that this...



reminded me of this...



which goes along with Grandma's...



and Grandpa's...



Did anyone else feel like that?

I'm an Apple fan as much as the next twenty-something American college student, but I do not like this iFlop. As Steve Jobs presented in front of a seemingly underwhelmed audience he kept talking about the 'space between a laptop and a phone.' Unfortunately, the only space the iPad lands in is awkward.

Where is it supposed to go? A coffee table? My bag? My back pocket (bring back the JNCO jean)? The kitchen counter? I really would love to have one on my nightstand. It would be nice for watching Hulu in bed on Saturday mornings, but do I just tote it around the house all day? On stage, Mr. Jobs made it seem like it was uncomfortable to hold.

So, it isn't easy portable like an iPhone, maybe it has more computer features? Mmmm, not so much. The iPad, like the iPhone, runs only apps from Apple's App Store. No Microsoft Office, no Matlab, no Illustrator. While third parties may develop applications, you must obtain them through Apple. (I will say--it will be interesting to see what broader range of app developers this invites.)

However, some credit where credit is due: 10 hour battery life is IMPRESSIVE! And that isn't 10 hours of 'down time,' that's 10 hours of watching movies and browsing the web time. Wow. I would love to have one of these on an airplane.

Not an iPhone, not a computer, just something in the mess in between. It's a sad response to the Kindle, netbooks, digital photo frames, and Microsoft.

I'm sure this tablet is fun to play with, it just isn't as revolutionary as I think it could have been. The first clue that this rollout was going to be disappointing was when Steve Jobs pointed out that the iPad has a customizable background--before talking about ANYTHING else. Umm....Steve...a cell phone I had in 2004 had that capability...I think we are looking for something bigger.

4 comments:

The McKinleys said...

you've done it again!! you are one clever, funny girl. {it really is true that no-one is as funny as you!} haha

p.s. i'm still SO thrilled that we have a class together. it's about time!

Jeff Rosenbaugh said...

Bad news Jenny - it won't play Hulu because Hulu is flash based and the iPhone Gigante doesn't have flash support.

You've echo'd my thoughts on this very well. I was thoroughly disappointed, though this is kind of what I expected. And you're right, I knew it was a joke the second I heard about the customizable background too.

Oh, and did he seriously try to make spreadsheets sound awesome?!?! He did! He seriously did! He tried to make spreadsheets sound like the coolest thing you've ever seen! Blegh...

Britton said...

Ha! I'm so glad that you commented on my blog post, which made me click on your name, which made me read this, which I had somehow missed.

Amen. Dang it, Steve.

Chelsey said...

Please don't reference "JNCO jeans" if you don't want me to spit out my figurative milk. So funny! This post is deserving of 20 comments. Up your Blog Stock.