Thursday, October 7, 2010

Get a Clue

Being in Engineering, I meet ALL sorts of weird folks.  Most of them think they know everything.  It's annoying.  Overheard yesterday:

Engineer #1:  "What paper are you reading?"
Engineer #2:  "Financial Times.  You read it?"
E1:  "No, I don't have time to read the Financial Times (chuckle), in fact I don't even think I have enough money to warrant reading the Financial Times (more light chuckling)."
E2:  "Do you know what the solution to that is?"
E1:  "A job?"
E2:  "Micro-Credit."
E1:  "Whats that."
E2:  "Loans from $25 to $100.  They are changing the world."

Insert GIANT eye roll from me.

Buddy, I know you are the guy loves starting 1 semester NGOs, but a $25-$100 loan to a student in engineering is not going to change his financial situation.  I'm all about micro-credit....in Nigeria.  Here, in the states, it's called an SBA loan and it has nothing to do with what you are talking about.  Please keep your plugs in the appropriate context.

Wow, I'm getting grouchy.  I'll try to make the next post a little more upbeat.

3 comments:

spiffydave said...

ironically, what mr.fancy-engineering-pants doesn't know is that micro-credit actually isn't changing the world. without foreign aid, it's completely unsustainable, unless you go into triple digit interest rates for those poor widows in rural india. micro-credit=overrated. if there was a solution to poverty, then we wouldn't have poverty. looks like i am grouchy too.

-your friendly neighborhood economist-

Jana said...

hahahaha. hahahahahahahaha. funny.

Sara... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.