Saturday, March 26, 2011

Admiration

I was so amazed by this that I cried.  As days--even weeks--start to drag on the Japanese aren't giving up.  They continue to impress the West with stories of self control, sacrifice, and human respect.  I'd like to think that in a situation like theirs I would be like them, but I can only hope.

As I read the article I kept thinking about a Youth Conference when I was 15 or 16.  For some reason we ended up sleeping in the Independence High School gym.  I thought this was the lamest idea ever since IHS was twenty minutes from my house.  I was vocal about my discontent.  The gym was really hot because we'd held a dance in there (oh, church dances....) that ended 30 minutes before lights out--cotton eyed joe really heats up a room.  There was a huge curtain separating the girls from the boys--which prompted yelling back and forth all night.  My sleeping pad was 1/4" thick and my shoulder blades felt it.  My pillow ended up smelling like a locker room.  Surprisingly I don't remember having to get ready for bed in a high school bathroom--but I'm sure I complained about it when I had to.  I don't think I went to Youth Conference the next summer.

I can only hope.

4 comments:

Marianne said...

That was an amazing article. Thanks for sharing.

And I remember that youth conference. I remember it well. I think it's rough for teenagers to sleep on the gym floor, but I truly believe it was harder on the creaky old leaders than it was on the kids! Wasn't my favorite...

Rachel said...

They are amazing people full of respect and dignity. I don't think a lot of other countries would react/handle it the same way.

Sarah Orme said...

I am continually impressed with the Japanese....especially when I think of the way Americans have handled natural disasters.

Jessica Zincke said...

That's a great article. And I remember that Youth Conference like it was yesterday. All I really remember from the sleeping in the gym part is that the boys would NOT stop yelling "Hoo-ah." (The Army call thing...) Ugh...haha.